@ #Baltimore #Greyhound #Bus Station http://mygreyhoundexpress.com …loving ALL #dogs! #video #photo cc @GreyhoundBus
In a moment, I asked myself, “Is there space 4hideousness? Is there space 4shame & terror? Yes. Yes, there is. There’s room 4it all. End of story.”
In that instant, my attention turned away from a random story I was telling myself to the spaciousness of my being. I was freshly at home, where we always are!
In knowing who I am in truth, there is nothing to fear. No emotion, no thought, no loss can trample the truth of my being.
The inherent, ever present peace of the open heart is the true sanctuary.
Not that I can avoid pain as a human being, but when it comes, I can be true to the recognition —> the heart gracefully, peacefully holds it all in love, and for me that is living freely and living consciously.
“When love beckons to you follow him, Though his ways are hard and steep. And when his wings enfold you yield to him, Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you. And when he speaks to you believe in him, Though his voice may shatter your dreams as the north wind lays waste the garden. For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you. Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning. Even as he ascends to your height and caresses your tenderest branches that quiver in the sun, So shall he descend to your roots and shake them in their clinging to the earth……
But if in your fear you would seek only love’s peace and love’s pleasure, Then it is better for you that you cover your nakedness and pass out of love’s threshing-floor, Into the seasonless world where you shall laugh, but not all of your laughter, and weep, but not all of your tears. Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself.
Love possesses not nor would it be possessed; For love is sufficient unto love. And think not you can direct the course of love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course. Love has no other desire but to fulfil itself.”
But if you love and must needs have desires, let these be your desires: To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night. To know the pain of too much tenderness. To be wounded by your own understanding of love; And to bleed willingly and joyfully.”
― Khalil Gibran, Le Prophète
For the next couple of weeks we’re in what’s sometimes called a shadow phase.
- It began with the United States coming right up to the brink of default, as the Treasury’s ability to borrow money ran out the very day of the station. Congress raised the debt ceiling just in the nick of time, but not before taking the world through a nauseating hostage situation. A few days later, the United States had its credit rating dropped by Standard & Poor’s, causing yet another wild ride on global stock markets.
Rick Perry, the governor of Texas, held a religious revival at Reliant Stadium in Houston, where he prayed for God to heal the economy, and declared his candidacy for the presidency. Many of his guest speakers believe that the world is ending, and that it’s their job to hasten the process along.
A Russian spacecraft blew up on its way to the International Space Station. Steve Jobs resigned as CEO of Apple Computer. And a rare East Coast earthquake, centered in the district of everyone’s favorite congressman, Eric Cantor, shut down the cooling systems of the North Anna nuclear power station, which had to be shut down. The quake damaged the Washington Monument and the National Cathedral, and immobilized Amtrak up the eastern seaboard. Numerous nuclear power plants declared ‘unusual events’ but remained in operation. As all this winds down, Hurricane Irene is headed up the East Coast.
How has your life been?
Have you had the feeling of being backed into a corner, and the sensation of underground feelings being a little like steam inside a pressure cooker? These time can be mentally stressful, as rational thought has a tendency to collapse.
Where to from here? Forward, slowly. So slowly in fact that you start in the present, with a careful evaluation of where your life is now. In time things will come into focus as if the lens elements in a telescope are moving into precisely the right alignment to see something you were missing. The key is to look now. Assess the changes in your life, your relationships, your work and financial circumstances; assess what you’ve learned, how you’ve grown, and what has been damaged.
There is an opportunity for both growth and healing in the future; the common ground being focused awareness. 🙂
- Recognize when your mind is destroying you and your environments, and do it in that very moment, “mid-coitus”!
- Consciously turn your mind around in that very moment.
How successful are you at keeping your “thought radar” on automatic so you can catch those thoughts and emotions that render you helpless in the face of such things as “your justifiable anger,” “self-deprecation in all its disguises,” “your quicksand of certifiable loss,” “overwhelming but picayune judgment of yourself and others,” and so much more! I call those unruly mind viruses “Trances”.
They not only throw a huge smoke screen around what is really happening, and jerk us into their own non-reality, but by their very creative energy they magnetize more of the same to materialize in our present and future. Yikes! Let me outta here!
This is what Patanjali, that ancient codifier of Yoga described to us so many centuries ago…
“It is the habits of the mind that bind us to attachments and duality and, in turn, suffering.”
But there is a remedy!
“It is also the habit of mind that leads to non-attachment and to the practice of merger with what is real.
The mind is a sophisticated tool that can give us liberation and the transcendence of conditional living, or it can give us confusion, ignorance, and bondage.”
Guess what that means?
Once your mind becomes aware of that automatic “thief in the night” that is stealing control over your consciousness, you can actually CHOOSE to reel your own mind and emotions back in from its churning habitual crap that pollutes your whole system – body, mind, emotions and energy flow.
YES! You CAN CHOOSE, and you can be effective!
This is the only way that you can finally find happiness and peace.
If you don’t choose, you are consistently setting yourself up as the victim/victimizer target in your own personal shooting gallery, especially if you believe that you have no responsibility in the matter – “It is someone else’s fault”.
You are in charge of your own psyche!
So, now how do you choose to move out of the dark anger, hurt, numbness, etc.?
First of all, let me put in a plug for strong daily sadhana. That clears layers of mind-gunk and gives you better ability to move through this process. Then at the moment:
- Catch your thought or emotion to realize this is actually self-sabotage, not true reality. This step is really, really important because it sets the whole process in motion.
- Go to neutral. Long-deep breath, changing your mind to welcome the bigger picture that had been obscured, calling on your friends, source, etc., for help. This is not avoidance, going numb or jumping out of your body. Quite the contrary. You are taking back the engine of your consciousness to actually deal with the energy and experience of the Trance at hand.
- Move into healing and change. This is where your genius of awareness and spectacular free will come into play. They come through your strength of determination – your true CHOICE! Don’t take “NO” for an answer, but definitely don’t beat yourself up for getting yourself in this difficult condition. That would really be counter-productive, don’t you think?
- Ground yourself by sending your energy down into the center of Mother Earth and continue to cycle it back up again through your body and mind to root you, to clear you, and switch from the chaos of mind and emotions to weighted strength.
- Grounded in this state of neutral awareness and breath, let the emotions, feelings, mind’s tantrums run through your being without being overtaken by them. Adding mantra, powerful prayers and yoga will quickly move this process along. Remember, you will re-experience your Trance as it moves out, but don’t get freaked. Just abide with the process until you know that this “sitting” is done. You may find previously unseen realizations and the ability to reframe your situation arise like misty fairies in your reality.
- Different manifestations or degrees of that same Trance may continue to come up over time, but use the same process over and over again. You will be addressing different layers each time, so respect the process, don’t get impatient with it. This is your Transformation to Peace – your true path!
- Expansion–Now, begin to let the wisdom that comes from your healing trickle into your consciousness. When you “listen” you may be amazed at what incredible messages, yearnings and remedies were snarled in that Trance, but now are freely accessible. Forgive yourself for not having recognized them before, and allow yourself the great freedom to accept and integrate these “new” abilities and freedoms into your personal world. Be grateful for this incredible process. And reside in True Love which is radiant Light, Pure Truth.
This is how your mind CHOOSES the process of peace to work for you. It takes creating a “mind muscle” with repetitive use. So, now your mind can choose to move your system’s energetic vibration to actually magnetize even more peace.
Make CONSCIOUS CHOICE your regular and most dear habit. Happiness will pursue you! 🙂